Hurricane Katrina depicted as a panel from the Maciejowski Bible.
Medieval art (or in this case, book illustration) contained a lot of symbolism. There is a lot of symbolism in this piece for me, some as obvious as the red cross and blue roofing tarps, and some more hidden. There are drowned people and a dog under the waters. There is a white wagon, bearing soldiers and a red cross banner, which has a nail stuck in one tire. A large white tent stand behind them, and roofers work to the side.
The style is taken from the Maciejowski Bible, a large 13th c. old testament that was elaborately illustrated with graphic depictions of war and smitings and all that great old testament stuff. If you’re not familiar with medieval MS, it’s a pretty distinct illustration style, with little turrets and archways above the scenes and columns seperating the panels.
The piece was created using traditional means, ink and paint on drafting vellum then was scanned in and tidied up a bit with photoshop. This piece was used as a cover for a program guide for a large SCA war in Mississippi.
This piece was done several months after Hurricane Katrina, I experienced the entire storm a half-block off the beach from the light house in Biloxi, MS.
This text is copied from http://speculumhistoriae.deviantart.com/#/dife5g
with the exception that I corrected the century. The Maciejovski bible is from mid 13th not from 16th century as they wrote in the original webpage. But the idea to use an old photophopped miniature for a new event was neat.
It´s just a pity that it´s the SCA again which shows problems with historic periods and accuracy here.
- kimbawolff likes this
- collegeturbulence likes this
- winegrass likes this
- littlesmoothieq likes this
- secondaryambitions reblogged this from living-history
- laughsandfrowns likes this
- dreadfulpenny likes this
- lyondc reblogged this from living-history
- papermachedinosaurs likes this
- orgasmos-con-risa reblogged this from living-history
- abiosis-apoptosis reblogged this from lostinhistory
- abiosis-apoptosis likes this
- stitch-n-time reblogged this from living-history and added:
- tamimay reblogged this from pallas-athena
- pallas-athena reblogged this from living-history
- ccotten reblogged this from living-history
- thehologram likes this
- bshw likes this
- da-finker likes this
- This was featured in #History
- ubu507 likes this
- lostinhistory reblogged this from living-history and added:
- gobbldygook likes this
- letthemhavepie reblogged this from driftingfocus
- killroad reblogged this from driftingfocus
- blackbirdblade reblogged this from driftingfocus
- driftingfocus reblogged this from living-history
- mikestumblrfeed reblogged this from living-history
- living-history posted this