Irven Lee shrine, Athens Bible School. (at Athens Bible School)
A momentary break from historical posts for a bit of news.
1. In July, at the annual Lipscomb lectures, I will join John Mark Hicks, Jeremy Sweets, and Mac Ice for a second round of presentations and discussion about the history of the churches of Christ in Nashville. Last year’s presentations were well received (you can find mine here) and we look forward to a good session again this time…
- “[On what young husbands should say to their wives:] I have taken you in my arms, and I love you, and I prefer you to my life itself. For the present...”
- “Fire and water do not mix. Neither can you mix judgment of others with the desire to repent.”— Saint John Climacus
- Q:Wait… Are you saying there’s no such thing as Southern writing? I’m not sure I understand…TP:All right, let me ask you something. You’re from New York, right?... ...
small things to do that make your mind feel clearer
- close all your internet tabs except the one you’re using
- delete all your text...
- “[When discussing theodicy, post-Enlightenment theologians] think God requires an apologetics, and their defence takes the form of accusation and...”
- “I think it was Alfred North Whitehead who said that there are no such things as whole truths, there are only half-truths, and treating half-truths...”